- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours), University of Western Australia
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Prosthodontics), University of Melbourne
- Aesthetic / Cosmetic Challenges – Ceramic Rehabilitation
- Dental Implant Biomechanics and Reconstructions
- Complex Reconstruction – Management of Worn Dentition
- Complex Multidisciplinary Dental Treatment – Collaboration with Other Dental Specialists
- Professional Appointments as Executive / Committee Member
Dr Janice Kan is an Australian board-certified prosthodontist. She received her Bachelor of Dental Science degree with honours from the University of Western Australia in 2001 and was awarded the Wyn Needham Memorial Prize for being the most outstanding student. In 2007, she received commendations with the completion of the Primary Examinations of The Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons.
Upon her graduation from the three years full time Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Prosthodontics) degree at the University of Melbourne, she returned to Perth and commenced Perth Prosthodontics in 2011. Joined by her team of esteemed prosthodontists, the success of Perth Prosthodontics has led to its change in name to the Centre For Prosthodontics in 2021, to offer prosthodontic treatment at multiple locations.
She is a Past President of The Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists (AANZP) – the peak body of the speciality prosthodontics, in addition to being a fellow of the International Team for Implantology (ITI), International College of Dentists (ICD) and the Academy of Dentistry International (ADI). She also founded and is a Past President of the Women in Dentistry Society WA.
With keen interest in dental implant biomechanics, Dr Kan has widely lectured on her clinical cases and academic research at various local, national and international dental events. In addition to being appointed an Adjunct Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Western Australia, focusing on prosthodontic programs, she has founded Centre for Prosthodontics Education, through which she has provided continuing professional development for dentists over the past decade. She has published in respected international dental journal and clinical textbook, including the Clinical Oral Implants Research and ITI Treatment Guide. Dr Kan is hoping to undertake a PhD on Implant Dentistry Biomechanics in the future.
Conferences Presented In
- International College of Prosthodontists (ICP) Conference 2021 (Virtual Biennial Meeting, USA)
- American College of Prosthodontists – Digital Dentistry Symposium 2021 (Virtual Conference, USA)
- The International Team of Implantology – ITI Congress Australasia 2016 (Melbourne, Australia)
- The International Team of Implantology – ITI Education Day 2012 (Adelaide, Australia)
- International College of Prosthodontists (ICP) Conference 2011 (Hawaii, USA)
- International Quintessence Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2010 (Sydney, Australia)
- The Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists (AANZP) Biennial Conference 2010 (Melbourne, Australia)
The abstract of Dr Kan’s research publication can be found via:
Kan, J. P. M., R. B. Judge, et al. (2014) In-vitro bone strain analysis of implant following occlusal overload. Clinical Oral Implants Research. 25(2):e73-82. (Article Epub 2012)
To refer to the published clinical case performed by Dr Kan: “Repeated Acrylic Fractures on a Mandibular Fixed Full-arch Implant-supported Metal / Acrylic Prosthesis” in (2014) S.Chen, D. Buser, D. Wismeijer (Eds.). ITI Treatment Guide Volume 8 – Biological and Hardware Complications in Implant Dentistry. Quintessence Publishing Co. Ltd, Chicago (2014), pp. 33–57.
To listen to the Australian Dental Association interview with Dr Kan on her research, please click the link below.
To maintain a high level of clinical advancements for the practice of Prosthodontics, Dr Kan is a member / fellow / presenter of the following reputable professional organisations:
- Fellow and Registered Lecturer of the International Team of Implantology (ITI)
- Fellow of the Academy of Dentistry International (ADI)
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists (ICD)
- Founder of Centre for Prosthodontics Education
- Adjunct Senior Clinical Lecturer (UWA)
- Member and Guest Lecturer – International College of Prosthodontists (ICP), Australian Prosthodontic Society (APS), Australasian Osseointegration Society (AOS), Australian Dental Association.
- Member of the Dental Specialists Society of Western Australia (DSSWA)
- Member of The Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists (AANZP)
- Guest Lecturer for the American College of Prosthodontists
List of Lectures
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- Assessment of Tooth Restorability
- Adhesive Dentistry and Dental Cements
- Dental Composites
- Dental Ceramics
- Back to Basics Fixed Prosthodontics – Lecture Series and Hands On
- Dental Crown, Post and Core Preparations
- Management of Heavily Restored Teeth
- Dental Ceramic Veneer Case – How is it done?
- Risk Assessment and Implant Complications
- My First Implant – Series I, II, III
- Straumann, Nobel Biocare, Dentsply Astra – Lecture and Hands On Introduction to Implants
- Implant Overload – Fact or Fiction
- Implant Overload – Biological and Mechanical Complications – Series I, II
- Introduction to Digital Dentistry
- Entry into Digital Dentistry – Lessons Learned After Five Years
- CADCAM Techniques in Implant Planning and Surgical Placement
- The Consultation and Diagnostic Process
- The Art and Science of Treatment Plan Acceptance
- Management of Worn Dentition – Series I, II, III
- Aesthetic Principles – Series I, II
- Simple Rules for Superior Smiles
- Clinical Presentations – Simple to Complex Cases – Series I, II, III
- Clinical Dilemmas – Problem Solving by The Experts (Specialist Interdisciplinary Case Panel – Oral maxillofacial surgery, Prosthodontics and Laboratory Perspectives)
- Treatment Planning and Implant Management of Edentulous Patients
- Management of Edentulous Patients – All on 4 – What is the Hype?
- AuDentes® Wake Up Smiling – Instant Full Arch Implant Bridge At Surgery
- Interdisciplinary Treatment Approach – Pre-Prosthetic Orthodontics
- Treatment Planning and Complications in Clinical Dentistry (Specialist Interdisciplinary Case Panel)
- Overseas Dentistry – Management of Failures